Sunday, September 13, 2009

Dim Sum Sunday - A Little Something

I'm a fan of Martha. She who no longer needs a last name. I've never met the woman however I have no doubts our paths crossed long ago in the antique shops of Westport Connecticut. I was propper for the local theater, she had houses to furnish. I've always wondered who had the bigger budget. I'm not a fan of her early cookbooks. Too fussy and busy for me. However. Her hors d'oeuvres handbook is spectacular.Bright and easy to read. The photography is clean and luscious. You want to lick the photos to see if you can actually taste what's on the page. Tips, techniques and simple instructions to help any level cook. It was from this cookbook that I chose my snackies for Dim Sum Sunday.I started off with Ginger Spiced Pecans. I love nuts and there are numerous methods and spices you can use with pecans, cashews and walnuts. Fall is nut harvest season so take advantage and make yourself some wonderfully spicy nuts.I also decided to try Martha's Blue Cheese Popovers mainly because I had some wonderful blue cheese in the fridge. These are substantial, warm and hearty. I think I might cut back a tad on the thyme but still these popovers are delicious. But you know I couldn't just stop there. What could make it better? That's right - BACON JAM!! It's a nice match just be careful on the salt level of your jam. The bacon I had was pretty salty so I didn't feel like it needed any other additional salt. Thank you Kevin (current Top Chef contestant) bringer of the bacon jam. It's wonderful.Last but not least were the Spicy Tuna Rolls. It's a spicy tuna tartare rolled into very thin strips of cucumbers topped with a little spicy mayo. My only issue with this bit sized snack it that you should probably drain the tuna mixture before rolling to avoid liquid draining out of your little package. It was good but I think I'd use a lime spicing mixture as opposed to the light soy mixture Martha calls for in her cookbook.
If you haven't already added this cookbook to your kitchen shelves and you like entertaining, this cookbook would be a welcome addition and definitely a starting point for you imagination to go wild. Just like Martha.

15 comments:

Dani said...

Awesome snackies Sham! Especially the popovers.

I'll have to pop upstairs at the library in the morning and see if they have Martha's book.

Big Shamu said...

I hope they do. Christmas is coming though...

Susan said...

No snackie snacks here at Black St. this week (still tres busy empire building at the TTD). Drag ! cause' this was/is a favourite category of mine. Appetizer's yum.

I'm with Dani - excellent post, delicious sounding offerings especially those darn popovers and fantastic photos. Perfect.

I did make a rather regular banana bread yesterday with milk chocolate bits that I was going photograph and post under the category "this is not an appetizer". But alas ... it didn't deserve a post.

Big Shamu said...

Thanks for checking in Susan, I kinda figured you were tres busy with the Empire.
As for the popovers - SO EASY, so good.

Jenny said...

having had the pleasure of eating what you cook (and photograph) I can only imagine this all tasted as great as it looks.

Martha who?

MakingSpace said...

First off, I agree with Boxer, Martha WHOOO??? Dayum those are some tasty looking snackies. I sit here eating chocolate chips straight from the bag... Congrats on a slam DUNK return from the operating room to the kitchen. Woot!

Big Shamu said...

Boxer, I would cook for you anyday. Even tofu hotdogs.

And MS if I ever make it to Hawaii, I'll make sure you'll eat something other than chocolate chips straight from the bag.

LaDivaCucina said...

Sham, I LOVE all your snacky=-poos and esp. the nuts, loves me sweet and spicy.

Ah, MS IS in Hawaii! Boxer, I'm jealous you've had Sham's food! I have a feeling you would really spoil your guests Shamu!

Ok, I was really spoiled yesterday by going to my agent's for dinner....she made a strip steak roast? Ever hear of it? It was very tender and juicy and like a prime rib.

Anyway, I'm experimenting with a new dish today and hopefully will have something successful up later...

Happy DSS!

(I'm actually going to take a look at getting martha's book based on your recommendation, I've got about four app books now!)

Big Shamu said...

Sorry, La Diva, have yet to make it to Hawaii. It's also on the list of things to do.

That strip steak roast sounds good, have not had that yet.

What 4 app books do you have? Share.

Dani said...

Hawaii!! Lucky girl. My sister made the trip a few years back and I was so envious(in a good way)! Someday, if I ever get over the fear of flying I'm gonna go.

LaDivaCucina said...

Where in Hawaii MS? I've been to Maui and Oahu. I've had a few friends who lived in Maui and have been a couple of times en route to Australia. Hawaii is a magical place! poke puu puus!

Sham, I have four Aussie app cookbooks which is nice as the modern Australian palate is an excellent mix of Asian and Mediterranean styles along with a few trad. Aussie standards thrown in (like sausage rolls and lots of seafood)

Party Food Bible by Margaret Barca (Penguin Australia) Great photos, easy and nice mix of recipes.

Small Food by Murdoch Books, tons of recipes

Marie Claire Food and Drink (2001) by Murdoch books.

And my girlfriend just sent me "500 appetisers: the only appetiser compendium you'll ever need" By Susan Blake That book alone has 500 recipes.

Finally, I copied an entire book a friend loaned me. Every recipe is for 20 people: Canapes by Eric Treuille and Victoria Blashford-Snell (who are English.) Their book is excellent becuase it covers so many basics like tart shells, crostini, choux pastry, tops and bottoms, etc.

So, do I really need Martha's book? I doubt it! If any of you need any ideas, let me know!

OK, off the computer now....

MakingSpace said...

As Shamu points out, I have only experienced the photographic version of her cooking. Boxer is the one bragging about having been cooked for by the great Sham. Ah well... LOL

I'm on the Big Island. Very sunny today. Well, was a second ago... LOL Rains a lot here. Y'all come visit and cook stuff. I'll gawk and eat. I wash a mean pot.

Big Shamu said...

I'm not sure Hawaii is ready for the Blog Summiteers. They might withdraw from the Union.

Buzz Kill said...

The Culinarily Challenged Mrs actually makes an appetiser similar to your ginger spiced pecans only no ginger and lots of sugar and cinnamon (pecan pickups). They're really good and get made around Christmas.
And is that the bacon jam with the popovers? I'll bet that was a good combination.

MakingSpace said...

Hawaii can handle any kind of food or foodies. Just don't bring any squirrels. Ha!