Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Down on the Farm

So there was this challenge. I'm not really sure what it was about?


I know what this says and I know they were promoting Ayrshire Farms and after a little research on their website it seems like a fascinating place. They have their own organic home dairy, they specialize in rare and endangered breeds of livestock, and contribute to the seed pools of heirloom plants. And....


...they breed these beautiful Shire horses. Sounds like paradise to me. So what did we get to see of this beautiful farm?



A field and a rock wall. My little crack monkeys, this could have been any number of fields in Loudoun or Fauquier Counties. The state of Virginia is covered with rock walls. I should know, I grew up 18 miles north of this farm. This is fox hunting country. Steeple Chase country. Actually when I saw the previews I thought that's what they were going to do, the spring Gold Cup Steeplechase Race. It would have been off the hook.

Bitches are serving Asian cracker mix in silver trophy cups!!


But no, they are out in the middle of a cow pasture, trying to do an organic dinner with....


...a gas powered mobile pantry. It just seems wrong. Even more wrong?


How is this guy still in the competition? Salads, like desserts, if done poorly usually means a one way ticket to the Condo of Disgrace. But Timothy's turnips and asparagus must have been horrible to lose out against a bad 3 hour salad.


Kenny wins with a curried eggplant but I think I would have given it to either Andrea or Kelly for their dishes (which are also on the plate above since it was served family style) and the extra credit dessert Kelly took a risk to make out there in that environment. What I really wanted was to see why this farm was so special that they traveled so far to do this challenge. Just seems like another lost opportunity.

4 comments:

Making Space said...

I found the mini-episode (a separate download on ITunes) on how this challenge got set up and almost didn't happen to be the most fascinating thing about the experience. The whole thing was pretty much a nightmare of stress and anxiety and they barely got their act together in time to give the chefs ANYTHING to work with.

I WANTED KELLY'S DESSERT. Just sayin.

You grew up in beautiful country.

Dani said...

What a beautiful place to grow up in!
Did you live in the country or the burbs?

Big Shamu said...

MS, the mini episode was fascinating for the fact that not much seems to be planned and nailed down ahead of time.

Dani, the first part of my childhood was spent growing up in PG County MD and then we moved out to Loudoun County VA where we lived out on a nice piece of ground. Let's just say that long walk down the driveway to catch the bus to school was bitterly cold in the winter. Hence my hatred for ice and snow. But so beautiful that country.

moi said...

I was a contributor on a book about Loudoun County a few years back. It was one of my most enjoyable projects. Sweet Jesus, if I ever find myself rolling in da dough . . .

Anyhoo . . . yes. It's time for Timothy to go, go, GO.