Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Bone Marrow Dumplings

What was the Mystery Ingredient? Bone marrow. Bone marrow pressed through a sieve to make bone marrow dumplings.

bones

It was a search for a non-dairy version of dumplings for chicken and dumplings that led the Culinary Godmother to suggest bone marrow dumplings. You scrape the marrow from the bones and press it through a sieve to get rid any bone slivers and sinew material.

marrow

Then you beat the marrow until creamy and add eggs and seasonings. Now, there's some issues from the recipe from here. I used flour but the dumpling in the end did not cook all the way through so there's still some issues to work on this recipe.

Bone Marrow Dumplings

That being said, dropping these wonderful dumplings in some homemade turkey stock I had stashed away in freezer turned into an amazing luscious bowl of happiness. The thing I love about chicken and dumplings is that stew-like gravy that happens when that dumpling sheds some of it's flour into the broth. It is the most amazing comfort food.

Thanks everyone for playing along, we'll have to give away that cookbook another day.

14 comments:

the dogs' mother said...

Holy Smoley!

Big Shamu said...

Told ya nobody would get it.

MakingSpace said...

Um, yeah, not even close.

I'm still not sure I understand what it is.

Glad you liked it though and you certainly stumped the blogosphere!!

Big Shamu said...

MS now has homework to google marrow.

MakingSpace said...

Perhaps.

Shamy has homework to google jazz hands.

Anonymous said...

Cool! Thanks for undertaking the experiment! From one who will benefit!

the dogs' mother said...

PS - Are you going to watch Top Chef Masters? They have the first episode tonight. They have modeled it after the regular Top Chef template. All the chefs compete at the same time.

(KItchen Aid, Sprint and some kind of car...)

Sharon Rudd said...

Where did you get those bones?

Big Shamu said...

Yes and I'm watching. I'm sad that they are also making it more like regular top chef. I don't really understand why they didn't pimp the fact that Ruth is a judge.

Eggy, Whole Foods and they split it for me. Just ask for a marrow bone.

Big Shamu said...

As for the one who actually benefits...still working on it but I think it's close. Too bad I had to answer probing emails about what the mystery ingredient was...

Dani said...

I would've never guessed marrow.

Jenny said...

well, now I know why I didn't have a clue.

**shudder**

Big Shamu said...

Sorry Boxer. I guess I'm a bit of a cave woman.

Sharon Rudd said...

Shamy, your post spurred me to finally get up a post about my Louisville trip (bone marrow is involved).