Thursday, September 8, 2011

Day Job

You know, as much as I would love to cook and shoot food all day, it's only a hobby. My skills as a photographer usually involve construction sites. Sometimes beautiful, sometimes just a pile a dirt. Every once in a while you get to see something grand rise up out of a mere pile of dirt. This weekend the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts will open to the public. This iconic building is steps away from where I work and let me tell you folks, it's a beautiful thing.

PAC3

Of course I'm torn between wanting a backstage, crawl around the flyspace and loading rails tour or checking out the kitchen space. I've already been inside for a general tour and as a performance space it's absolutely gorgeous. I know many folks are lucky enough to have opening night tickets but in my soul, my fingers itch to working behind the wings. That would be fun. Of course it would also bring back the nightmares of arriving at the theater late and only having minutes to set up my prop table. Yes, I know, total techie geek.

Enjoy the gift Kansas City, it's better than barbecue.

6 comments:

MakingSpace said...

GORGEOUS!!!!!

Big Shamu said...

Now imagine singing in it.

MakingSpace said...

I am imagining it. I want my own studio there. I want to sing there. I do. For real I do.

the dogs' mother said...

The building is stunning. But I like the grasses in the border even more!

Melissa said...

beautiful. absolutely beautiful.

Big Shamu said...

Melissa, you really need to see it in person....but wait a couple of weeks when all the landscaping is done and the garage lawn is finished. They are hustling like crazy to be ready for the grand opening.