Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Tom's Thoughts on Southern Cuisine

No matter who was your favorite chef going into those final moments, you had to feel for Kevin. Here was one of the nicest chefs ever to draw a knife from the Top Chef Knife Block. I don't recall him saying a harsh thing about any of his competitors, like calling their food overly complicated and bombastic. He had fun moments like kicking ass at the horseshoe pit out at the cowboy cookoff. Most of all he stayed true to his upbringing and roots. There was never a doubt how much Kevin loves Southern Cuisine and his passion to leave his imprint on the food he loves so much. Too bad the head judge seems to think that Southern Cuisine is limited to just biscuits and gravy.

Do you wonder what other misconceptions Tom has about Southern Cuisine?

16 comments:

Making Space said...

Help me Rhonda I can't see any pics!! Eeps! Tell me it ain't my MacBook, sob!

LaDivaCucina said...

Can't see 'em either! WAH!

Big Shamu said...

Sorry kids, still riding the learning curve.

Buzz Kill said...

I know when I think of Southern Cooking I think of Granny Clampett. After all, this is the type of food Mike V makes on his day off.

And you removed the Deliverance Boy. Nothing says good food like an incestuous mutant.

Big Shamu said...

I'd rather look at Granny than Banjo Boy.

Dani said...

I love your little Epicurious widget you got there on the left. Good stuff up today. It's making me hungry.

Jenny said...

pictures are big, so they are loading slowly. Worth the wait just for the possum.

you forgot grits. (

BTW, there's a box in my kitchen.)

Big Shamu said...

I know Dani, I have to avert my eyes.
Boxer, just how many times has anyone reached for that box of grits?

Boudreaux Thibodeaux said...

Dat dere be some fine eating, I tell you!

Tom C. said...

Needed more salt.

Making Space said...

Oh I see the pics now. LOL Go go granny!!!

Moon Pies are the shizz.

LOL My word verification is madyark - it's like some southern accent dissing of New York = Mad Yark. ROFL I know, I know, the cosmos probably does not ACTUALLY speak through my personal word verifications. But I need to believe in SOMETHING!

LaDivaCucina said...

How did you get to post the photos so large? I like the impact. I also really liked Tom's suit and tie for this episode, sharp combo! haha!

moi said...

I think it needs to be said: Tom Colicchio can kiss our grits.

Big Shamu said...

Only if you tease your hair into one of those Flo-like do's and start cracking your gum.

Anna said...

Well, the finale hasn't aired up here yet...so i guess I picked the wrong day to peek at your blog!

I love the rationalizations that Tom made - can't wait to watch the episode!

Big Shamu said...

Sorry about that Camlin, hope you enjoy it when you see it.
Thanks for stopping by.