Sunday, July 19, 2009

When in doubt, Google

I love all things food. Cooking, researching, dining out. The business and marketing all of it. I find it all fascinating. So when this popped up on the latest Top Chef Masters, I was intrigued.What the heck is speck? You see while I might write about food, my actual knowledge about the culinary arts is not as diverse as I'd like it to be. That's why I enjoy watching shows like Top Chef Masters, I know I'm going to learn something new. Like speck. Never heard of it nor have I tried it.However I think it's something I definitely want to try. Turns out that speck is one version of the many varieties of European hams. Born in the region between Italy and Germany, it's a boned hind leg of pork that's cured with salt and spices like juniper, nutmeg and bay leaves and then slowly cold smoked. You can use speck much like you use prosciutto or Serrano ham. Or you can wrap it around pineapple, batter and fry the whole thing like Lachlan Patterson's Fritta Esotica but good luck, Lachlan didn't have much luck with this dish.
Not sure how available speck is outside of the larger cities of the east and west coasts but if you're feeling adventurous and like to experiment you can order it online from the Formaggio Kitchen. Sadly for Lachlan Patterson it was one case of baconization that failed to bring home the prize.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

you can probably get it in KC at bella napoli

the dogs' mother said...

Brings up those cool glass (or plastic) serving vessel-ettes. Those looked really elegant and I haven't them before.

Big Shamu said...

I hope you're right about Bella Napoli, also I think Pizzabella uses it in some of their dishes.

MakingSpace said...

I think I would like speck better than flan. Just sayin. (I am not Rosie O'Donnell, nor do I play her on TV.)

Buzz Kill said...

I had no idea speck was a type of ham. I thought it had to do with the breading on the pineapple. Patterson got slammed pretty good for this dish. The way the judges talked about it I thought it was just breaded pineapple. I think the ham would definitely make it taste better as well as some sort of cheese (maybe cheddar) and some kind of sauce. My 2 cents.

Big Shamu said...

OH NO, another Flanaphobe. Don't fear the flan MS.

Buzz, he did get pretty slammed pretty good but from the way he talked he had at least done the dish before. I'm guessing someone somewhere likes it.

moi said...

Loves me some speck. I had a German mother, so, you know. Pork rules. Glad you're home safe and sound!

MakingSpace said...

Just to clarify, I don't fear the flan, I just really really really really really (etc) like any ham product. Yeehaw!

Dani said...

Moi's mom sounds just like mine.
I thought the poor girl was gonna disown me when I stopped eating meat!

It was great seeing your comment this morning on the blog. We miss you when you're not around. :) Glad your travels were safe.