Friday, November 14, 2008

Thanksgiving: The sides.


A couple of years ago, we asked former Top Chef contestants for their favorite Thanksgiving recipes. Chef Otto "The Pirate" Borsich kindly contributed this recipe. It's easy, it's delicious, and it has become a major favorite with my family, Thanksgiving or not!

Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta and Pine Nuts

Brussels Sprouts 2 pints
Onion, medium size 1 each, medium diced
Pancetta, small dice ½ lb
Garlic, minced 3 cloves
Pinenuts, toasted ¼ cup
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive Oil as needed

Procedure:

Sort through the brussels sprouts and remove any leave that are not tightly packed onto the head. Score an X about ¼ inch deep into the base/core of each brussels sprout. Bring a gallon of salted water to boil. Once boiling add the sprouts and cook for about 5 minutes after the water has returned to a boil. To see if they are cooked cut a large one in half to check if it is tender. Place in an ice bath to stop cooking and preserve color, and remove after a minute, at this point you may wish to cut the Brussels in half. This makes them easier to eat and prevents them from rolling.

Add about a tablespoon of oil to a skillet add the pancetta and cooked until crispy. Remove the pancetta but reserve the rendered fat. Cook the onions in the rendered fat over medium heat until cooked with no color, add garlic and cook 5 more minutes. Remove onion/garlic mixture. Add the brussels to the skillet, season with salt and pepper and toss until heated through. Add onion/garlic mixture. Transfer to serving bowl, sprinkle with crisped pancetta and toasted pine nuts.Thanks, Otto!

6 comments:

h said...

Very similar to one of my brussel sprout recipes. Do you actually cut the X in every sprout before boiling? I wouldn't bother.

moi said...

Nothing is yew to me, except Brussels sprouts. I don't know why. But I have never been able to eat them. Maybe it's chemical?

Big Shamu said...

I loves me some Pirate Food, ARRRRGGGGGGG!!!

Nanc Twop said...

This is very handy - I have a pint of brussels sprouts in my frig as we speak. Thanks for posting !

NYD said...

We don't do Thanksgiving in Japan, but reading through this page makes me wish I had an oven large enough to poast ol' Tom. The side dishes sound yummy too.

Aunty Belle said...

I love Brussels Sprouts! I will definitely try this recipe, Yum!