Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Don't forget dessert...


This is one of my favorite pecan pie recipes of all time! It is a family recipe from Chef Carlos Fernandez and his partner Chuck Smith. This pie is rich and yummy all by itself - topped with whipped cream or ice cream, it's downright decadent!

Carlos' Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie

1 cup sugar
1/2 stick butter (melted)
3 eggs (beaten)
3/4 cup light Karo Corn syrup
1 tsp. salt1/2 cup pecans (chopped)
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
2 Tbs. Bourbon
Mix pecans, chocolate chips and bourbon and let soak for 1/2 hour, stirring occasionally. Blend melted butter into sugar until fully integrated. Add beaten eggs and blend. Add corn syrup and salt and blend fully. Fold in pecan/chip mixture. Pour into pie shell with edges crimped. (Carlos makes an old fashioned Crisco pie crust for this recipe, but you can use whatever pie crust you prefer). Bake at 350 for approximately 45 minutes until center of pie rises and cracks. Let cool. Best served slightly warm with either fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

6 comments:

NYD said...

Everytime I come here I gain a gazillion pounds. I have never seen a pecan in Japan.

Now I will log out and go cry.

h said...

All of the deserts I've had at the Hi-Life Cafe were top-drawer. I gave the restaurant an 8 for quality and a 9 for value.

The Phosgene Kid said...

Pecan Pie
1 pie crust, pour pecans in bottom, cover with 10LBS of sugar and bake.

I can only do one slice of Pecan pie and I ma good until next Thanksgiving.

moi said...

You had Moi at bourbon. My favorite pie of all time.

Happy, HAPPY Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Unknown said...

I've been lurking on your blog for a few months now. I saw this post the other day, realized I had all the ingredients and threw one together Wednesday night for our Thanksgiving. This recipe is fabulous. Thank you!

Big Shamu said...

That's great Magi, so glad we could hit your sweet spot and you could spread the nutty goodness.