Saturday, April 4, 2009

Dim Sum Sunday - Tofu

Shamu's Sunday Supper
I knew it was going to be a challenging Dim Sum Sunday when Java threw down the Tofu gauntlet. Tofu is not exactly popular here in the meaty Midwest. However a challenge is a challenge. I decided to let someone else cook this week and that someone would be the very able chefs at my favorite Chinese restaurant, Bo Lings.
Weekends at Bo Lings are very popular since it's one of the few places in town to serve Dim Sum. There were a couple of tofu dim sum dishes I was planning to get but would they also have my personal favorite dish, Fried Tofu with Shrimp Sauce?

I was in luck. Deep fried tofu in a light sauce studded with shrimp and peas. Paired with the nuttier organic brown rice you have a light, delicious dish.
Accompanying my fried tofu is the stuffed tofu dim sum dish. A piece of tofu is stuffed with shrimp paste and then steamed. Since tofu has so little flavor of it's own it makes a perfect canvas for other ingredients such as shrimp.Rounding out this simple meal was tofu in coconut milk. Again light and very simple yet wonderfully delicious.
While tofu might not be as popular as bbq or Sweet and Sour Pork here in Kansas City, it's slowly working it's way into Kansas City's culinary consciousness as an excellent alternative for protein and calcium. Tofu, it's what's for dinner.

Java's Sunday Supper
The Java Junkie does loves her tofu. Despite a rough week her inner chef pulled through to give us a very simple white miso soup with tofu, wakame, scallions and white beech mushrooms. I love this kind of soup especially when I've got a cold. It makes me feel good just looking at it.
She kicks up the flavor of her next dish, Tofu Stir Fry with Spicy Schezuan Sauce with emphasis on spicy. The tofu and bok choi are quickly braised in a sauce made of Sirachi, soy, and oyster sauce and liberally laced with chilis. More vegetables are added and quickly fried. Served on a bed of white rice, it looks delicious with it's snow peas and peppers and spicy enough to clear out the sinuses. A wonderfully spicy Sunday dinner.

Next Week: Easter Dinner

3 comments:

LaDivaCucina said...

Very nice, ladies!!! That tofu with shrimp looks pretty easy to make...I am re-posting my comment from the other day as it's now more applicable:

Ladies, I won't be participating today, already promised the big fella a nice steak. However, this is what I had at the fantastic Malaya restaurant in Sydney recently:

Sayor Otak
Silken tofu topped with a blend of eggplant, mushroom, tomato, lemongrass and chilli paste, wrapped in a banana leaf and barbequed.

It was divine! I'm going to try to replicate it soon.....I can still taste it!

http://www.themalaya.com.au/

Not sure at all about Easter dinner....it's a non-event in our home. (i did have some beaut hot cross buns in Sydney though!)

LaDivaCucina said...

Oh yeah, I meant to say GREAT PHOTOS! Makes me wanna eat it all NOW!

Buzz Kill said...

Both dishes look really good, especially the fried tofu. I like miso soup too but probably have not had anything as good as Java Junkie's. I get it from the local Chinese Take-Out place.

Alas, I have no offering this week. The brood and I went to a steakhouse for Sunday dinner this week. I'm anxious to see what next week's theme will be. Anyway, nicely done.