Saturday, October 4, 2008

Cheesegasm

For those of you not familiar with Cypress Grove Chevre, it is one of American's leading makers of artisanal cheese. And this is one of their creations - Humboldt Fog...The namesake of the morning mist that rises from the ocean in Humboldt County, Northern California and a little bit of heaven to eat, with the wonderful clean, lemony taste characteristic of a great goat's milk cheese. The center vein and outer rind of ash make it easily identifiable, and the riper this cheese gets, the more complex, pungent and complex the flavors. This cheese is wonderful with mushrooms, walnuts, apples and pears, and it's particularly good with pate. It's also great served with Prosecco.

The Humboldt Fog, long on my list of favorite cheeses, has now been joined by Cypress Grove's newest offering, Truffle Tremor.This soft-ripened goat milk cheese contains (seriously generous!) bits of truffle that infuse the cheese with a unique, earthy flavor. I'm still in the exploration stage on this one, but I whipped some into my mashed potatoes and it was amazing! I think it would also be the perfect addition for an over the top truffle mac & cheese..

Both of these cheeses, along with other Cypress Grove offerings, are now being stocked on a regular basis at Whole Foods Markets.

3 comments:

The Phosgene Kid said...

If it ain't Brick from Beechwood, WI, it ain't cheese.

Big Shamu said...

Too bad for you Kid, just means more for me and Java. Partee!

The Java Junkie said...

I've never met a cheese I didn't like, Phos - bring on the brick!!